Two years ago, I blogged about one of my few attempts at hosting a large party. Since then, I have turned my Shavuot buffet lunch into a family tradition. However, I still worry every time that something may go wrong. This time, I was hesitating as to whether I should prepare the salmon (one baked in a sour cream and dill sauce of my own invention, the other in a sauce of mayonnaise and coriander – also, more or less, invented by Yours Truly) the day before and risk it drying out, or leave it to the last minute almost and risk a last minute disaster. I shared my fears with my sisters. “Suppose I leave it till tomorrow and there’s a power cut and I can’t use the electric oven?”
I was told to “think positive.” I therefore opted to prepare the salmon this morning. Sure enough, I had no sooner turned on the oven when the lights went out. No, it wasn’t a power-cut, merely a short circuit. A bit of detective work led me to the conclusion that it was the upper oven (I have a double oven) that was at fault, so I merely transferred everything to the lower oven and after that, everything went more or less smoothly. As usual, I had grossly over-estimated the amount of food required and there is enough left to feed me and several other people till the weekend (well, that’s not far off). This may be a family trait – my sisters suffer from it too, and so does my step-mother;-)
Murphy’s Law did come into play after everyone had gone and I wanted to clean up the mess – the vacuum cleaner wasn’t working properly – but I think I can safely say that as far as my guests/family were concerned, it was a resounding success.
Pats on the back for Yours Truly…