Update on Pixie

Pixie is home now, after the vet said, yesterday, that there is a slight improvement in her blood test results. He gave me antibiotics for her and a saline drip, both of which are to be administered twice a day, till Sunday, when we are to go back for tests. I felt a surge of hope – as if I might, after all, be able to enjoy Simchat Torah. But today, I was in black despair once more as she seemed so listless and miserable all day, and wouldn’t eat.

My first attempt at administering the subcutaneous infusion ended with rather more liquid on Pixie than in her and the same was true of my first attempt at getting her to ingest her antibiotics (in liquid form). But practice makes perfect, they say. I found a way of hanging the saline drip from a lamp-stand (!) because before, it was too low and wouldn’t flow properly.  Also, Pixie was much more cooperative than I had anticipated in allowing me to insert the needle under her skin.

The antibiotics, however, were another story.  My first attempt, this morning,  was a total washout. I managed to get her mouth open and squirt in the medicine, which she immediately spat out and, just to make sure, vomited.

For my second attempt, I tried mixing it in with her meal of Fancy Feast. As I had feared, however, she must have smelled the medicine for she refused to eat.

This evening, I wrapped her in a blanket, so as to be able to hold her more easily should she attempt to escape, coaxed her to open her mouth and when she did open it (only to give voice to her protest, I suspect) I quickly squeezed the syringe and squirted the liquid in and then held her mouth closed until I was sure she had swallowed all – or at least most – of her medicine.

After that, she went into the bedroom and crawled under the bed, but came out after ten minutes or so and curled up on the bed. After another twenty minutes or so, I persuaded her to eat some Shrimp and Salmon Fancy Feast. Not much, just a tablespoonful or so, but I was so thankful she was eating anything at all. In a little while, I shall offer her some more. Every bite she takes restores my flagging hopes, but it never lasts for long and I can’t make myself believe she will be spared to me. All I can do is pray.


About Shimona from the Palace

Born in London, the UK, I came on Aliyah in my teens and now live in Jerusalem, where I practice law. I am a firm believer in the words of Albert Schweitzer: "There are two means of refuge from the sorrows of this world - Music and Cats." To that, you can add Literature. To curl up on the sofa with a good book, a cat at one's feet and another one on one's lap, with a classical symphony or concerto in the background - what more can a person ask for?
This entry was posted in Pets, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Update on Pixie

  1. Admiral Hestorb says:

    Oh Bless her wee heart. I am so so sorry about this as I go thru it with my own little girl, I can share the pain you feel. My eyes have been teary more than not since last December.

    Can the Vet substitute a pill for the liquid antibiotic. Better still what about the 2 week shot? Please ask right away. I am sure he has the medicine available. It’s been out several years and Admiral has had it two times. Saves me gincing her antibiotics. It’s a little pricey but worth it.

    If he can’t give her the 2 week shot…ask for a pill and see if you can purchase Greenies Feline Pill Pockets.

    Please give her all my love and many many kisses. And Possum too. And hugs to you.

  2. Yes, when Possum was sick last year, we had to give up on the liquid antibiotics and substitute the 2-week shot, which was definitely worth it. As for pills – I should think that would be as hard as – if not harder than – liquid.
    But Pixie has really been very good – much more cooperative than Possum was (or possibly, she has less strength to fight). However, we shall see. She’s supposed to have the antibiotics for 10 days. Today is Day 3, (and we managed quite nicely this morning). When we go back, on Sunday, it will be Day 5 already. We’ll see how she’s doing. We don’t want to OVERDO the antibiotics and if the shot is a 2-week shot, that will already be 19 days worth of medications (together with the 5 days on liquid antibiotics) when she only needs it for 10 days. So I shall consult with the vet, of course.
    I have passed on your love and kisses to both of them. And from me, hugs and thanks for being such a good friend in my time of trouble.

  3. Admiral Hestorb says:

    Shimona, I am always and ever your friend and theirs through good times and bad. And as with most of we pet moms, I completely understand Possums and your feelings.

    Love and hugs and if there is any other loving support you need from me, you have only to say.


  4. meowmeowmans says:

    We are a mess here whenever our furry kids are not well. Please hold tight to whatever encouragements you can, and know we are praying along with you for Pixie’s return to health.

    We received an email from Ann at Zoolatry, who has created a beautiful “Prayers for Pixie” badge for you (we saw it … it is really nice). She does not know where to send it, though, as she does not have your email address. You can email her at zoolatry(AT)gmail(DOT)com.

    Hugs, purrs and prayers to you all.

    Kevin (meowmeowmans), Tracey, Sammy and Moosey
    Animal Shelter Volunteer Life

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s